Monday, May 21, 2007

¡We made it!

So here we are finally in el grande republic. No photos for now as we´re in an internet cafe.

We´re in the muy bonita town of Villa Real de Minas de Nuestra Señora de la Limpia Concepcion de Guadalupe de los Alamos de Catorce, but mostly just known as Real de Catorce. Population: 920 Elevation: 9000 ft. It was quite a drive here - 21 km of cobbled mountain road and then a 2 km tunnel. The good old Fuego is resting.

It´s incredibly beautiful here and very friendly. We´ve been acclimatizing to the altitude and exploring the town slowly as all the streets here are almost vertical.

We found a great room with a huge terrace overlooking the town, las montagnas and the cathedral.

As we've been driving and driving and driving southwards we've had a few moments when we've asked ourselves just what do we think we're doing but it now makes complete sense.

Crossing the border was a little hairy - Nuevo Laredo is a sketchy little town and it was torrentially raining, but customs and our car permit went fine, such a relief.

We spent 2 nights in Saltillo which is a relatively unremarkable city and then another 4 hours or so to here.

Well off to dinner now.... Tomorrow horseback riding in the mountains.

¡Hasta La Vista!

Juan y Amicita

2 comments:

jenn said...

¡Oh my god! ¡You're finally there! ¡It's so exciting!¡!¡!¡!

Jay Rymal said...

Hey, I think I know that guy, he owes me $5.00 :)
Que pasa Shawn?! Or I hear it's Jean now. Awesome blog, great photography.
Pamela added me as a friend on Facebook and told me about your blog and trip to Mexico. Wow! Great to see you again. I hope you're well. I'm sure you're having the experience of a lifetime on your trip.
My much less exciting family blog:
http://blog.rymal.com
I'm working on the photography... it's hard with kids, you have to be more paparazzi, less Ansel Adams :)